Currently...

  • lusting after - a DSLR camera
  • crocheting - Crobaktus scarf & Queen Anne scarf
  • reading - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo & Pride And Prejudice
  • cooking - BBQ pork ribs in the crock pot
  • knitting - Lacy Baktus & homespun mittens
  • gardening - a few tomatoes each day

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

the winter of mittens

I joined NaKniMitMo (National Knit Mittens Month) on Ravely and managed to knit three pair of mittens. All three got some use after being knit, but these are my favorites. I loved the yarn (De Vi Autumno) when my friend Julie and I saw it at Atelier Yarns in San Francisco, so I bought 4 skeins and used one and a half on these mittens. They are so soft and warm. I'll probably make a scarf from the rest of the yarn, but want it to be something special and I haven't found a pattern that really grabs me.
dive autumno 2 123009
The second pair were made from SWS Stripes and I love the colors in these. I didn't have enough of the green to do the second glove the same way, so I simply switched the color positions. They go with all my jackets and I definitely need a scarf to match. Can you tell the pink thumb is a bit longer than its mate? Well, it is. I have yet to make a pair of mittens that are exactly the same left to right, so I bought a book on how to knit two socks on two circs, only I'm gonna use it for mittens.
P1230002
The third pair is a gigantic set of bright red mittens that I didn't take a pic of yet. I had delusions of knitting a red hat and mittens to walk the dog in, since she wears a red harness, but the mittens are huge. So much for paying attn to gauge lol. I'll donate them to my cousin's husband who works outside a lot and will love them.

1 comment: