Currently...

  • lusting after - a DSLR camera
  • crocheting - Crobaktus scarf & Queen Anne scarf
  • reading - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo & Pride And Prejudice
  • cooking - BBQ pork ribs in the crock pot
  • knitting - Lacy Baktus & homespun mittens
  • gardening - a few tomatoes each day

Monday, April 26, 2010

CSA week 1 4/15/10

Picked up our first CSA crate. I was pretty excited to see what was in it since we've never done this before. Another woman was picking up her crate also, so we chatted for a minute. The main thing that struck me was how dirty it all was. I didn't expect it to be all cleaned up like from Save Mart, but I guess I expected it to be washed off a bit more. I headed straight home with it since the day was warm and I didn't want it to wilt in the car all day.

CSA 041510 4

This week got 3 kinds of lettuce, a bag of spinach (DH will love that), a few carrots, parsnips and radishes, two artichokes, 2 spring garlic, and some fresh thyme. I'm sort of embarrassed to admit that I've never bought fresh herbs before, so using the thyme will be a new experience.

The next night we steamed one of the chokes and roasted the parsnips and carrots with some potatoes. I love roasted veggies and the parsnips were quite sweet, but the carrots seemed no better or worse than the ones from the grocery.

It's been over a week and we haven't done much with the lettuce. I guess I'll take a head to work to give away and pile a bunch on our sandwiches. Just not interested in salads at the moment. Actually ever since I read that lettuce is on the no-no diverticulitis list, it hasn't sounded good to me.

So I'd score this first CSA crate as a 6 out of 10. They skipped this past week cause it's been so wet, so the next one will be the 29th.

2 comments: